Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pancakes and Kokusai Street

The "typhoon" - or tropical storm - was at its worst early in the morning hours. Between 8 - 10 we had some moments of hard rain and strong winds. The soccer field has pools of water in it, but that didn't stop me from getting out.

Yoko - San took me to the pancake house just down the hill from the school.
I ordered Fu-Kuruma French Toast - I had no idea what Kuruma Fu was. Yoko had to teach me.
This is the Kuruma Fu in the store. Yoko says it is used to make champuru and cooked in stir - fry dishes often.

Sake jars with the habu snakes inside.
Gail and Joel Anderson invited me to hijack their anniversary outing. Instead of going North, they decided to go South to Naha/Kokusai Street. I'm pretty sure they did that for me. Very kind of them. We had lunch at a Japanese Vietnamese Restaurant on Heiwa Dori

- a traditional stand with all the Okinawan treats
Part of the meat market. This is honestly a pig's head for sale. Someone just put the sun glasses on him. There was another tray with all sorts of pig parts on it. Meat just sitting out in the open - of all kinds. Gail was not very fond of the smell in this room.
A colorful fish display.
Puffer Fish (I think called Fugu). They are examples of what Max found for me. The one with the pretty pink hat on is like the one we saw on Wednesday. Like a squishy pillow.

The dried fish. You shave off what you want or need.
Spam! What Okinawan display is complete without it?
The Okinawan "Beni - Imo Tarte" is apparently turning 50 this year. The signs are everywhere. This is the BIG THING here, so I needed to have my picture taken as one. 8 )

No comments: