Sunday, June 24, 2007

Monday Morning, June 25

It is the official first day of summer school. I have the nervous jitters that seem to come, usually, with the first day of school. I feel underprepared, but there isn't much to do about that. Of course, things are not going smoothly. It wouldn't be OCSI if they did. I came to school at quarter to 7 to check on chapel. Nothing is set up, the computer cannot be found, I cannot get the sound system to work . . . I decided that was not where God wanted to me spend my time. So, I went upstairs to my classroom where I was met by one of our little cleaning ladies. (Those of you who worked here, you know who she is. She is the sweet little lady who always has some helpful hints for us. Yes, she is still working here. Yes, she has retired a couple of times, but she keeps coming back.) Anyway, she started giving me helpful hints right away, the problem was that the helpful hints were for the teacher next door to my classroom. It had something to do with stuff in places it shouldn't be. I tried to explain that we were switching rooms and it would be corrected. . . that didn't work.

Then, as I was reviewing my plans for the day, I was reminded that I don't have a student reproducable manual at all. All of my plans say, 'See student edition'....I don't have the questions, the worksheets . . . anything. So, I have to wing it anyway. I think all of these little pieces are not helping my nerves for the day. I have planned. I have done the work . . .God will take it from here. I need to trust that.

I have 21 students in second grade. We have well over 100 children in summer school this year. 93 in grades 1 - 8. That is a large number for us here.

No comments: