Thursday, June 28, 2007

Friday, June 29

Week one of summer school is done! I can hear outside that all the kids have returned from their outing to Torii Pool. The afternoons of our summer school program here are fun and games. Once a week, the kids get to go to pool to play. They were pretty excited today about that.

I have heard many encouraging things lately. I was greatly impressed with my 2nd graders yesterday. We were studying sea caves and trying to make up some safety rules for people to follow. One of the first rules they wanted to include was "Pray for God to help you." I was very touched by that. I am so used to working with high school students, or just kids in a public school setting, that once again hearing their refreshing honesty, and THE COMPLETE TRUTH from babes meant a lot to me. I am saddened that so many of them let go of that complete and total love for the Lord once they reach 5th grade, but at least at one point in their life they love Jesus with all their hearts. I was really thinking about that when . . .

I was talking with my roommate, Kathleen. Yesterday, one of our former students came by to visit with her. I was on my way off campus and my ride was already here, otherwise I would have come to visit with the him too. However, this child she was meeting was always a problem kid - not discipline wise, but academically. I wasn't ever sure he was paying attention or that he was understanding what we were teaching. I only taught him for Bible his 11th and 12th grade year, and I also had him for his repeat 12th grade year. . . . Anyway, today Kathleen mentioned that in her talk with him, they talked about God and his relationship with the Lord. He told her that he and another one of my former students (who also never said anything) have lately really been talking a lot about that. They have come to the conclusion that what was taught at OCSI (Christianity) has to be the truth. They have both recently made a renewed commitment to the Lord. So, all that to say, sometimes I felt (feel) discouraged that things are not sinking in, but God is bigger than any of us. He uses everything we are willing to give to further His kingdom!

As far as my summer school experience goes. Please be praying for me as I work with two of my little girls, Jodi and Remina. I am not sure that either of them understand much English. Both are having a hard time following directions and completing what I am asking them to do. I also have a new student named Kento, and the same is true about him. This may very well be his first experience in an English speaking school. He is trying hard, and very polite, but I am not sure that he is understanding. Then, I have a little boy named Dominik. Dominik is as cute as can be, but he cannot sit still for anything. I can watch him battling his need to move and/or misbehave often. I want so badly to encourage him and help him, but it is so hard with 20 other students in the room. I am quite confident that I have spent far more time working with squirely 9th graders lately, than 2nd graders!

4th and 5th graders continue to struggle with the need to "be cool" (which over here means, not singing or doing what is asked of them) during chapel. It tends to get rather discourageing to look out into the audience and just see scowling faces on all those kids - - I have NEVER seen that before. The middle school is now helping with other grades and most of them are GREAT. The little kids LOVE everything about chapel. One middle school boy came and told me that his sister practices her songs over and over and over again at home. That is encouraging. Please pray that we can learn our songs in time for the program in three weeks!

The drama work has taken another turn. I am now going to play "Captain Super" in our play. I never intended to take on any acting roll, but it has truly been a struggle to find the right people. Oh well, I leave it in God"s hands. He knows best.

On a more exciting note, Max Cruzado talked to me this morning. He is going to take me deep sea fishing with him tomorrow. He was taking someone else out and had an extra spot on his boat. I have always dreamed of going out, but was always too afraid to get seasick. Well, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. He tells me that where we are going I will not be able to see land. Many people throw up out there, so I have to be prepared. Once we get out there, it is two hours back to land, and he cannot bring me back. So . . . I am praying very very hard that my seasickness medicine works! You better believe I will give full reports on that, but PLEASE, if you think of it on Friday evening - your time - please pray for me. I don't want to be ill and ruin the day for others!

No comments: