Saturday, June 16, 2012

Saturday, June 16th

Does anyone out there reading know why this thing posts with no paragraph breaks? Hmmm...I really am writing and using them, but it just blends everything together! Sorry about that. Today, was a sunshine filled day from morning unitl evening. It was a much more typical Okinawan day! This morning,, we had the honor of meeting up with some more former Japanese teacher coworkers and some more of the office staff or former office staff. All these ladies played such an important role in our lives while we lived here. It was such a blessing to reconnect with them and just spend time with them. In typical Okinawan fashion (like yesterday with Etsuko - San and Katsumi) they go out of their way to show hospitality and make us feel special. It is the two of us that should have been doing that for them. We'd be lost without them. I was so excited to reconnect with the ladies that I managed to forget my key chain in the restroom of a restaurant we actually were not eating at. I had the presence of mind to recall where I placed them and guess what had happened. I felt pretty special when I was able to go into the restaurant and, completely on my own, ask if they had any keys with a key - chain that said "Lisa" on it. They understood, nodded, and brought them back to me. I thought - "See, I do know more than I think!" Then I flashed back to how incredibly hard it was to communicate ANYTHING at all in China and how at ease I feel here. I guess that's the difference living in a place for so many years can make. After our lunch gathering, Janice and I were scheduled to meet Max back at school. He was taking a group of us snorkeling, but it just wound up being Janice, myself, and a newer teacher named Evan. The water was far too rough still for the boat, so we drove up to Maeda flats. We saw MANY, different kinds of fish. Red fish, blue fish, one fish, two fish. . . No, we commented on the amazing creative sense of humor God has. He has designed some unique undersea creatures! The vibrant colors are amazing. After our adventures with Max, Janice and I decided to go to Royal Restaurant - for old time's sake - even though everyone tried to warn us that it was a buffet now days. They were right. Our cute little log cabin restaurant is now a huge - high class - pink hotel. I knew that much from last summer, but now they only serve a buffet. It was very good, but really didn't feel like the same restaurant at all. After eating dinner, we went to the grocery store to stock up. You see, there is a super - typhoon scheduled to hit us on Monday evening. The last few category 2 typhoons that the school has seen caused great damage and even power outages. Super typhoons are category 5. Who knows what this typhoon will bring us. We decided to be prepared - come what may. We will leave the rest on God's hands. I will keep you posted on what is happening with that.

No comments: