Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dressing my washing machine and squealing at a gecko!

Yes, I could title this post Sunday, June 24th, but I am officially losing all touch with what the date is. I know the day, but the date? Eh? No idea! Besides, my title is far more fun and captures the moment. Yesterday - Saturday - wound up being a very nice day. The sun came out for much of the day and I can officially, I think, say that we did not have any rain yesterday! Yippee! After working in my classroom for a while, and making up a list of things that I would like to do - or am willing to do while here on island, I decided I had better go to a church barbeque at a beach in the Southern part of the island. The church was saying farewell to a military family that had been part of the congregation for three years. This is a normal part of life here on Okianwa, but Central Baptist Church looks for opportunities to socialize with each other and celebrate. It helps to build a tight church family. I am glad I went. After the barbeque, and a little grocery shopping, I made it home to do some cleaning, laundry, and general housework type things. Yes, even in paridise, kids, you have to work in your house! I didn't have long to do that, however, because I had to get ready for evening church at Koza Baptist. I had some friends that wanted to meet me there so I was hitching a ride with Randy and Suellen Hadley from the school. We had to leave by 4 PM. I made it! The moment I walked into the church, the first face I saw was Meg Ishikawa's! Meg was a missionary here on island when I was serving here as well. She speaks fluent Japanese and really has a strong ministry with any of the people she comes in contact with. I think I visited with her, and her daughter Emily, for a good half hour as they prepared for the service. I truly look forward to hearing about their mission experiences and how God is working in their lives more in the coming days. I hope He will allow for us to spend some more concentrated time together soon. That was an unexpected meeting, however. I did connect up with Yoko Uehara, one of our OCSI office staff. She is such a blessing and positive encouragement for all of us around her. Her attitute and smile keep us all going! It was a special treat to get to spend some time with her visiting and catching up. By the time I returned home Saturday evening, I was absolutely exhausted! I couldn't finish putting my laundry away or anything, so I am up early this morning to do it. Thus the title of my blog today! HA! I am currently living in the absolute cleanest apartment I have ever lived in here at OCSI. It is a blessing and honor to get to stay here. Part of the reason it is so clean, is because Gail Anderson (the gal who lives here full time) maintains it so well. Our washing machines sit outside on our back balconies. Often they are weather and bug worn, but not Gail's. She has found a way to preserve it. She has something like a dress for her washing machine that she wraps around the body and then covers the top with a plastic table cloth. She then bungi ties everything down. So, this morning, I was out "dressing" up my washing machine to make it look pretty on this fine Sunday, but alas. . . uh, I forgot to watch for bugs or critters. The next thing I know a gecko (an albino one at that) ran out and nearly ran across my hand. I don't usually make noises - but geckos can bring squals out of me. I think I did so this morning. . . even though it was 6 AM! I calmed myself down and finished the wardrobe of my washing machine. As I was putting on the final touches - pop - out came my little gecko "friend" again. He startled me once more and I did a little dance around the balcony. Yup. . . my heart is awake and pumping. I am not afraid of him, but that startle factor gets me each time. At least he didn't drop on my head or run down my back like sometimes happens. It is more than a squeal that comes from my mouth when that happens. Well, on this glorious day that the Lord has made. I plan to rejoice and be glad in it. May you worship, relax, and be glad in the day God has given you as well! Hold tightly to His hand. We never know where our days will take us!

No comments: