Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wearing Black - inside and out?

When a person has a "monumental" birthday - people jokingly wear black to mourn the loss of one's youth, right? Well, I took that seriously yesterday! LUNCH TIME
After school, where: they sang to me at devotions, brought in a cake -made by Suellen Hadley, wished me many birthday greetings and hugs, and my class led all of Chapel in singing "Happy Birthday" to me, I asked to go to lunch down at the port. Four of us were able to go. I had the Squid Ink Soup. Let's just say it was PURE BLACK! When I pulled the first bite into my mouth I was surprised by the very fishy flavor. After that, I was surprised by the interesting pieces of black stuff I was eating. Tentacles and all. Parts tasted like mushrooms - I ate all those parts. Others were a little hard to identify. I think I am glad that I have tasted it, but I may not feel the need to try it again. My teeth, my fingers, my chopsticks, my napkin, the splatter marks on my shirt....everything turned black! After lunch, I went back to school to practice with some other teachers for chapel today. Then, I took Dibbie and Noriko with me to Gushikawa Jusco Mall. We got Dibbie some new shoes to try to help her foot pain and wandered around some before returning home.
That evening, Max and Aidy had me over to their home for an amazing and wonderful evening. Aidy made many of my favorites and Max even prepared a Tako (octopus) salad for my special day. They know my desire to not have too many sweets and unhealthy foods, so instead of a huge cake they bought me a slice of Beni-Imo (sweet potato) cake. However, in an even bigger surprise they had found the black sesame dingo that I love so much and I ate that first. However, as I look at it - that was another black item. Perhaps I am in mourning at the loss of another year? So much black. I'm grateful to know that I have the light of the Lord. No matter how dark things seem (and really, they don't seem so dark to me at all right now), I know He cuts the darkness. He is our light to guide our way!

No comments: