Thursday, July 12, 2012

An Apple for the Teacher

1997 - 1999 I taught 3rd grade at OCSI. Then, a year later 2000 - 2004, I taught secondary students at OCSI. This means, that for several years in there I had a group of students that really could not seem to get away from me. I taught their grade school, then their Bible, or their music, or band, or social studies, or math . . . . you name it. These poor kids couldn't lose me. They became very special to me and a HUGE part of my life. To take you back to the apple comment, however, in the elementary part of OCSI the students are not allowed to eat sugary treats. That made giving treats for birthdays a bit of a challenge. I decided I would splurge and buy one nice apple for each of my students when they had a birthday. I really didn't know if any of them would remember that in later years or not, but sometimes it involved some very rushed trips down to the grocery store to ensure their days were special. Well, as we gathered for this special day, Corey presented me with a birthday apple to start off the evening. It was such a special gesture that really meant a lot to me.
Actually, just having the chance to catch up with all of them was one of the huge highlights of this summer for me. I loved hearing what they were doing and getting an idea of what life was like for them. It is so fun to hear the different paths they have taken and hear what they have been doing. Hiromu translated for the international space station?!? Maasa (formerly Martha to me) is an accountant. Lisa is in youth ministry. Saido is SO still Saido! He is working with a bank and has had many adventures in his life so far! Yuta is working at a golf course. Hayata is working an auto shop, but playing in numerous bands (with Saido.) Emily is working in physical therapy in conjunction with nursing homes in the area! Corey is working in engineering and has had internships basically around the world! Such vastly different people, yet we are all tied together. I am touched and blessed that these young adults took time out of their busy lives to come spend an evening with their old teacher. It was certainly a night I will remember! Proverbs 7:1 - 3 "Follow my advice, my son; always treasure my commands. Obey them and live! Guard my teachings as your most precious possession (KJV - the 'apple of your eye'). Tie them on your fingers as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Love wisdom like a sister; make insight a beloved member of your family. ..." It is my prayer that my students all have loved knowledge, but above all that they will remember to guard God's teachings as the "apple" of their eyes! Always!

1 comment:

melissa said...

I Love this post! What a fun reunion! :)