Tuesday, July 10, 2012

moldy shoes???

Good morning from a rather wet Okinawa, again. Monday and Tuesday found us wetter than most, but it has still been a good week. I am in my classroom preparing for the students to come in. This week in chapel we have studied Harriet Tubman and today we are learning about Gladys Aylward. Gladys has become my new heroine (which we are also studying this week in our classes.) If anyone gets the chance to watch the "Inn of the Sixth Happiness", I encourage you to do so. So inspiring to read what people have given up and done in their quest to win people for the Lord. It makes coming to a tropical paradise seem . . . petty. My kids remain sweet in my classroom, but I am becoming increasingly concerned for one of my student's academic abilities. I fear that 5th grade is going to be a bit too overwhelming, but there is not much I can do at this point about that. I will give all the attention I can to the child, but I have to leave the ultimate preparation work to the Lord. He is up to the challenge, I know. Because of the weather, it has honestly been a quieter week. Sunday, after church I actually came home after lunch and then just went to some friends' home to watch the movie I mentioned earlier. It was a slower day and I enjoyed it. Monday, I went up north to paint a bag with some Bingata art - - traditional Okinawan painting. My mom (who is out of the hospital and in a rehabilitation center now. She seems to be doing quite well. They warned that she could have to stay there up to 8 weeks, as they don't want to rush things though, so that is a bit discouraging. Her spirits seem high and all seems to be progressing. I really appreciate all the prayers and I do look forward to getting "home" to her when the time comes.) laughed and found it odd that I would get so crafty. It is QUITE out of my character to do something like that, but when I unveil the work later today, I will have to share my success (or failure) as the case may be. Yesterday, because of the rain again, I actually went home after school and slept ALL AFTERNOON long! I was beat! Saturday had been a glorious day of snorkeling off Max's boat again (seeing more clams and colors than I ever thought possible. If I hadn't seen the clams open and colorful like that I never would have believed it. Max tells me I was probably snorkeling for 2 + hours as he took Linda diving.) Even though I had come home and gone to bed very early on Saturday, I think the emotional strain of last week - along with constant activity - wiped me out. The nap yesterday was very welcome! Today? Who knows what the future holds, but it is off to a great start. I was able to go for a morning walk. I spoke with my parents and immediately got a phone call from Max and Aidy who sang to me to start my day. How special. I feel so honored! I have the feeling squid ink soup may be on the menu for lunch. Anyone want to join me???? HA! Oh, and my moldy shoes comment. I have no profound statement to go along with that. I had some shoes that I wore hiking last week. They were covered with red clay so I sprayed them off on Sunday morning. Due to our high humidity and the rain, they haven't really dried out very well. When I put them on to walk today, they didn't smell so fresh.... They may require some attention this afternoon! HA!

No comments: