Saturday, June 18, 2016

Sunday morning, June 19th

I have a lot of thoughts going through my brain at this time. Early morning walks are a good time to clear them, so I'm going to be taking off here shortly to do that. Before I go, however, I just wanted to give you a little update.

Yesterday morning I took off on my first walk back here in the Okinawan environment. When I left, the temp read as 82 degrees but "real feel" was 102. I learned last night that we hit 90 yesterday with a "real feel"of 120. It makes some of what I'm going to share make sense to me, but it still makes me think. I have two little analogies out of my day.

I have had a relatively sedentary winter. Either due to laziness or business, but I think the latter more than anything. I know I am not in the same kind of shape that I had been in, whatever the case. Be that as it may, I know I have to go on a big mountain hike in August, so I made a vow that every day I was going to go out and try to hike the hills around here, and we have plenty!
Straight out the gate from school I went up the hill towards a castle that sits on one of the highest overlooks. I found myself thinking, "Oh, this really isn't so hard." Yet, when I attempted to hold things I realized that my hands were just one big sweaty mess. Then, I realized that my hair was starting to drip (beautiful picture, I know). My arms and legs "glistened" and my shirt wasn't quite as "fresh" as it had been 10 minutes earlier.
Once reaching the castle grounds there is a section of the trail that is, well, for those from the "North Shore Area", kind of like the Split Rock Lighthouse stairway multiplied. There are some wooden platforms and stairs connection this trail as it progresses up and down through some deep "jungle" area. I was beyond out of breath by the time I reached the old cobblestone stretch back out of the valley and up to the castle. Reaching the castle grounds, I was winded and reflecting on the fact that it barely phased me before.

I then thought about that when compared to our walks with Jesus. If I do not remain disciplined, focused, and make the effort to spend daily time in His Word and with Him, then I spend my day - the beautiful days that He gives us - winded and under-prepared for them. I can still enjoy them, because I truly enjoyed my hike, but I was NOT prepared in the same way I used to be. It took me longer and I wasn't as efficient. I pray that I don't do that with my real days. I want to efficiently deal with and respond to situations/darts thrown my way. I need to remain in His word!

My second musing comes from that stretch of wooden stairs through the woods, that I mentioned above. Before I started yesterday morning, I had reminded myself that I needed to remain alert for spiders along that trail. I recalled that it is less often used than some others and often the webs are build all across the trail. Well, that reminder didn't last while I was plodding along the way. I walked right into not just one, but TWO webs, upsetting the big spiders and causing them to flail around dangerously close to my head. After those two, I was more alert and was able to only graze the other webs I found.
Well, that got me to thinking again. We can know the struggles we are going to face. Sometimes we know what bumps will be in our path, but unless we remained focused and remind ourselves to maintain that focus - we are going to fall right into the traps set out for us. I do NOT want to do that!

I want to know where God is working here. I want to be prepared. I want to be patient and helpful and serve our Lord with gladness. I can already tell you some of the things that are going to try to trip me up along this journey. I want to remain focused on Him and let Him use me even when my own selfish ways want me to just throw my hands up and say, "whatever!"
That leads me to my prayer request. Right now, I am seeing more and more ways the school - the make up of the school and priorities and operations - has changed. It is a very different place from the one I used to serve. I need to remember that change is not bad. I need to remain open, go with the flow, and serve where I am. As I type I have one of those pictures in front of me that reads "Bloom where you're planted." Well, I am planted here, and I want to bloom!

Yesterday I spent the morning working at school and trying to plan my first day of lessons. Until I know the level my students will be at, it is hard to plan beyond that one day.

In the afternoon, I ran some errands to pick up some things I need in my classroom and I tried to find some fun "Japlish" or "Engrish" shirts. Unfortunately, I struck out on that one.

The evening involved a church service at Koza Baptist with some of the missionaries here at school.

No comments: