Friday, June 9, 2017

June 9th - the eve of my departure

As I sit here, again after struggling to try to remember how to actually log onto this site in order to post, I find myself considering the adventure before me. I have absolutely no idea what is in front of me, and I kind of like it that way. I have no expectations of what is to come. I cannot be disappointed in any way - well, I guess if it rains every single day I will be disappointed. As it stands right now, however, I'm kind of brain dead and tired. I would welcome, I think, a day to just rest - read - relax in my tent. Well, at least 3 hours to do that anyway, right?

I have just finished spending the evening with my parents, my nephews, and my brother-in-law. They brought me some more equipment that they will need while they are with me for the latter part of this trip. I will continue to say that when I lose sleep on this trip it will be trying to visualize and figure out how on earth I will fit ALL of their stuff, and them, in the car with me! It is going to be tight. There is far too much gear in that car, but when I consider being on the road for almost 2 months - it takes gear!

Last night, on a whim, after we were released from school I went to Zups to buy ingredients to make some single serving meals that are camp-stove friendly. I spent about 2 hours putting together roughly 25 meals that I can use while on this trip. It eliminated some groceries and goods to have pre-made things. I then spent another 2 hours re-cleaning my kitchen and trying to finish packing and organizing my car. I think I got to bed after midnight - and literally into my bed after 2 (I seem to have fallen asleep on my couch). The deal is, I will probably say that I pack and repack my car every single day of this trip. At some point I may find the magic arrangement that will actually allow everything to fit! For now, my whole back seat is full of a cooler, 2 sleeping bags and 4 pillows! Oh, and my bag of clothing. How I am supposed to fit two boys in this car boggles my mind, but I WILL make it happen - somehow. Watch for items to end up at good will or something like that as I progress on this trip.

I had my last day of school for teachers today. Luckily I had all of my grades posted yesterday before I left, so I was able to check out a bit early and make the 5 hour drive over to Fergus Falls.

I have taken my teddy bear, "Ronnie" along on this trip to be my photo stamp of all the places we hit. We had a good laugh at dinner as I was telling the boys of the "Nut Farm" that I wanted to visit in California. This led to us talking about how the local state hospital was once called the "nut farm." I mentioned, "Well, I will take a selfie at the nut farm while holding my teddy bear and I will make it my profile picture on facebook." Don't doubt me. Ronnie and I will make the rounds this trip! Ronnie, somehow, has gotten the reputation of being a rather cautious - scared bear. He doesn't like sheep or wild animals (apparently), but he desperately wants to go camping (or so I am told.) Really, I am not hearing voices in my head - but see . . . this will be an odd trip. Stay tuned for the nut farm photos. By then you will be ready to commit me!

I just got inside from putting everything except my cooler in the car. I snapped my first photo of Ronnie sitting in the backseat and in front of the house number at my parents' home. Let the journey begin!

Tomorrow the plan is:

Fergus Falls, MN - Fort Collins, CO. Praying all goes well!

No comments: